Saturday, August 28, 2010

Eat, Pray Love- the Movie

Hubby and I went to see the movie "Eat Pray Love". When we walked into the theater I notice mostly women there. I saw some of the previews and really wanted to see it. Hubby surprised me and took me. Now I will tell you this was truly a Click Flick.It was great for my hubby to take me and sit through it.

Julia Roberts plays Liz Gilbert who after years of marriage finds herself lost in knowing who see is. All her friends tell her to just go with the flow and through her marriage she will develop her identity. Marriage has its ups and downs and she is just in the downs now. You have a good man who loves you and that should be enough. However that is not enough for Liz. She see it as a personal problem that she is unhappy. Needs to find herself and in order to do this she must separate from her marriage life. Trying to do this in her own town is not working. She is a writer of plays and books. Her writing is suffering due to her self-searching.

The decision is made by her to travel to find herself and what she is to become. It is explained that she had been in relationships since high school and never on her own. With out being on your own, living by yourself and just enjoying life by yourself one can not real know who they are. Their self being is molded by others, how they are expected to be in this world.

I found the former statement so true. Liz's travels take her to Italy where she learns about herself and eating to enjoy the food and not just for health or looks. Then to India to learn about her inter-being and how to look at herself through Prayer and Meditation. Onto Bali where she is learning who she really is and about Love and how to enjoy Life and Love too. There are many profound thoughts that are mentioned. As well as a truthfulness in the journey.

This was a great Movie. My rating will be a 7 out of 10. This rating is based on it being a Click Flick. My thouoghts are the movie, although well put together, was a bit slow in some areas. Felt that the storyline could have been a little more detailed. This was a long movie over 2 hours and at a time I felt myself saying.... Boy this is dragging on.... Make that decision and let's go..How long have I been here?

I love long movies but if that feeling of this is a long movie happens, it doesn't encapsulate you and transport you to a different world, where one says "Is it over already" and it's been over 2 hours. Now hubby says he didn't get it, but he was happy to take me there. So, that means is it not intended for Men. Therefore take a girlfriend and go. It is worth the ticket.

Now I will have to read the book!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the movie yet but I suspect you'll like the book even more, since its hard to imagine how they'd convey all the pictures Elizabeth Gilbert paints with her prose. I loved the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall have to buy the book and see the movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Eat Pray Love and really liked the book! My wife did not read the book but we rented the movie and both fell asleep. Very boring as a film I thought. Too long. Too slow. The book lends itself to a laid-back casualness that doesn't convert well onto the big screen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Have a Marvelous Reading Day.